Saturday, July 14, 2007

Enlightenment in East Ham.


After a long and unsuccessful day in London, I decided that whatever it may require, I would hunt down that Saravana Bhavan in East Ham that my friend had talked about last time. That was my only salvation, having undergone the angst that comes from a refused french visa at the consulate. Visa rejected? Me? French? I had to drown my sorrow in the Quick Gun Murugan way - wone whisky, wone sambaar.
Took a long tube ride on the District Line and landed in East Ham. Needless to say, its a mini asia with tamils and 'other' communities living harmoniously together. Asked around for 'saravana' bhavan, and the hindi dude corrected me that it was correctly pronounced as 'shravan' bhavan. I think he was a budding poet or something, however, he did know the right ways to the all the eateries in town.
I walked by. There was a 'Chennai Dosa'. I walked past it. My feet were killing me, the british sun was burning my face. There came a 'Vasantha Bhavan' lunch buffet. I ignored it. Sweat was drenching me and hunger was overpowering me, but I couldn't have settled for any less. That vision of the Vada partially drenched in steamy sambaar just kept me going.
And there it was. Clad in glittering fake gold, I entered with pride and ordered two dishes:

1. Idli Vada sambaar
2. Vegetable Dosa


Mmmmm. What can I say? And great service too, the waiter kept coming up to me every three minutes to ask: "Saar, Chetny?" I would say no thanks. He had also started paying personal attention to my health, as when I ordered sweet after all this food he started telling me how it was really heavy and I wouldn't be able to finish it. I told him that he had no idea.
With a heavy heart, I walked back to the tube station. An epiphanic experience.
In case someone is wondering where that picture fits in, it doesn't. Its just a pretty picture I took in north wales.

4 Comments:

Blogger Balaji Chitra Ganesan said...

oops! how sad. btw did u know that the French Consulate in LA is actually the KB Home building down the street on Veteran?

and speaking of food, close to my new office in Marina, there's a desi place called Shershah where the buffet was good. more indian food everyday, yay!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Puru Iyengar said...

you are lucky LA boy man, what else can I say?
Yes, I know the french consulate in on Veteran, I was denied a visa there just three weeks back.
:)

4:43 PM  
Blogger Balaji Chitra Ganesan said...

haha! I thought you applied in England!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

both countries!

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home